Monday, March 17, 2014

Measuring Up

One of my biggest frustrations is when I feel misunderstood.  For example, when Jeremy makes a comment such as "there is never any food in this house", I get defensive and he does not know why.  When you live life with high expectations of yourself, it is easy to allow simple comments to become targets pointed at you.  I feel like I am constantly defending myself and explaining my actions.  I feel like I have to live up to everyone's expectations, including my own, and when comments get thrown at me, I feel like I am failing.  Simply said, I am a people pleaser.

Go to Him for understanding since He knows me far better than I know myself.  He comprehends me in all my complexity.  He views me through eyes of grace.  Allow the light of His presence to shine into the deepest recesses of my being; cleansing, healing, refreshing and renewing me.  Trust Him enough to accept the full forgiveness that He offers me continually.  This great gift, which cost Him His life, is mine for all eternity.  When no one else seems to understand me, simply draw closer to Him.  He understands me completely and loves me perfectly.
Psalm 139: 1-4; 2 Corinthians 1:21-22; Joshua 1:5

The only person I need to please is the Lord.  Nobody else has to understand me because the Lord understands me completely, and loves me in all my imperfections.  Even though I do not forgive myself for my imperfections, He does.  He did not give up His life for nothing.  He gave it up so that we can know the full extent of His love.  I need to accept this gift graciously and humbly, knowing that He will never stop loving me, even though I do not measure up.  I can stop defending myself because He is my defender.  I do not have to measure up to anyone's standards because He loves me just the way I am.  Unconditional love is the only love I need to seek.  That kind of love will heal me and free me.

No comments: