Thursday, March 13, 2014

Above And Beyond

Living life as a one-income family is rough.  Some weeks it is tight; and when it is tight, it makes it difficult to want to tithe.  As I have shared before, my husband has been led to tithe more than the 10% we are called to give.  Even though we give back to the Lord with no ulterior motive, sometimes I wonder when God is going to start blessing us.  Just yesterday, out of frustration and stress, I told Jeremy that I did not want to tithe this week.  Thankfully, he stood his ground and said that is not an option. 

Learn to live above your circumstances.  This requires focused time with Him, the One who overcame the world.  Trouble and distress are in this world.  Only His life in you can empower you to face this endless flow of problems with good cheer.  As you sit quietly in His presence, He shines peace into your troubled mind and heart.  Little by little, you are freed from earthly shackles and lifted up above your circumstances.  You gain His perspective on your life, enabling you to distinguish between what is important and what is not.
John 16:33; John 16:22

This morning at bible study, a woman shared with us about how God used a circumstance in her life.  Her house got broken into, and everything of value had been stolen.  While tragic, she said that God began to show her things.  How those stolen goods were just stuff, and that she should be storing treasures in heaven, and not on this earth.  I received a quote from MOPS that I still have hanging on my pantry.  It says "Put God first.  Everything else is just stuff."  I need to remember that when I am stressing out about finances.  What does money really bring us anyway; stuff.  It's just a way for me to store up treasures here on earth.  That is not what is important, and if I gain God's perspective on my life, it will allow me to distinguish between what is important and what is not.

No comments: