Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Forget About Tomorrow

When you have three kids, 40 minutes in carpool to look forward to, errands to run, social gatherings to attend, a workout video to fit in, never ending laundry to do and quiet time with the Lord to spend, you can only get through a day like that with an itinerary.  Last night as I laid in bed wide awake because I drank a cup of green tea at 8:00 pm, forgetting that there is caffeine in green tea, I went over my mental itinerary.  Each activity had its own time slot, with a start and an end time.  I had to be my own drill sergeant if I was to accomplish all that I had on my list.  So when my alarm went off this morning, I did not hesitate to get up.  I know I sound crazy, but this works for me.  I would go insane in this chaos if I did not have some sort of order in my head.

Trust Him one day at a time.  This keeps us close to Him, responsive to His will.  Trust is not a natural response.  Exert our will to trust Him in all circumstances.  Don't let our need to understand distract us from His presence.  He will equip us to get through this day victoriously as we live in deep dependence on Him.  Tomorrow is busy worrying about itself.  Trust Him one day at a time.
Psalm 84:12; Matthew 6:34

What really caught my attention in today's devotional was "tomorrow is busy worrying about itself."  I am sure the green tea had a big part in why I had insomnia last night, but worry played a bigger part.  Worry that I was not going to get all that I needed to get done.  Worry that I was not going to get my workout in before MOPS.  Worry that I was going to run behind, and that was inevitable.  I was running extremely behind this morning.  But did it throw my whole day off...no.  So instead of worrying about tomorrow, and making a mental itinerary, I need to trust God to get me through my day.  Life will throw curveballs, but if I trust in God, He will help me through it.  God has taught me priorities.  It is not about checking off mental checklists.  It is about spending time wisely.  So what if I have two loads of laundry to do.  Spending quality time with my family is what matters most.  I don't always practice what I preach, but I must always try and remember that I will always have laundry, but I will never have this time back.

No comments: