Thursday, March 27, 2014

In the Wee Hours

On Monday, I just could not get up when my alarm went off at 5.  So I decided to turn it off and sleep in, which resulted in a frantic morning and finding Caleb eating cookies in his bed, while I snuck in a quick workout.  So I welcome the quiet that this early morning brings.  The calmness, the peace, the slowness.  I have really enjoyed waking up early and spending quiet time with the Lord in this state.  It allows me to not rush, not be interrupted and to fully listen.  This is a great way for me to start out my day.  It allows me to push aside my selfish desires, and replace them with God's plans for me. 

Be still in His presence even though countless tasks clamor for our attention.  Nothing is as important as spending time with Him.  While we wait in His presence, He does His best work within us, transforming us by the renewing of our minds.  If we skimp on this time with Him, we may plunge headlong into the wrong activities, missing the richness of what He has planned for us.  Do not seek Him primarily for what He can give us.  He is infinitely greater than any gift He might impart to us.  He is deeply grieved when His blessings become idols in our hearts.  Anything can be an idol if it distracts us from Him as our first love.  Enjoy the greatest gift of all:  Christ in us, the hope of glory!
Romans 12:2; Revelation 2:4; Colossians 1:27

Even all good things can be bad if we do not check our motives.  I need to always be sure that I am seeking the Lord with pure motives.  To love Him because He is worthy.  To follow Him because He is good.  Years of obedience and loyalty, gaining nothing in return, is not wasted.  He is our return.  Anything beyond that is a bonus, not an expectation.

No comments: