Wednesday, April 30, 2014

What Are You Lacking Today?

When some basic need is lacking - time, energy, money - consider ourselves blessed.  Our very lack is an opportunity to latch onto Him in unashamed dependence.  When we begin a day with inadequate resources, we must concentrate our efforts on the present moment.  This is where we are meant to live.  It is the place where He awaits us.  Awareness of our inadequacy trains us to rely wholeheartedly on Him.  Self-sufficiency is a myth perpetuated by pride and temporary success.  Health and wealth can disappear instantly, as can life itself.  Rejoice in our insufficiency, knowing that His power is made perfect in weakness.
James 1:2; 2 Corinthians 12:9

The one thing I lack, and struggle with, on a daily basis is dying to myself.  There are lots of moments when I want to react on my emotions; anger, annoyance, bitterness.  I want to be entitled to my rights and throw myself a pity party.  That is my greatest weakness.  Sometimes I cave in, but most times I look to God and ask for His Spirit to take over.  When I do, He pours His Spirit into me and I go the opposite direction.  I have more compassion, love, empathy.  When I go that route, there is more peace around me and in me.  I should never be ashamed to ask God over and over again to make up for my shortcomings.  He prefers me to depend on Him than to learn how to be self-sufficient and never need Him again.

Back during the spring session of ladies bible study, I took up a study on Gideon.  The main point of the study is that our weakness is the key to unlocking God's strength.  All of us have shortcomings.  I have a lot of them.  But if I did not have them, I would have no need for God.  God designed all of us to have a need for Him; a desire; an emptiness that can only be filled by Him.  We need to embrace our weaknesses because that is the key.  The key to unlocking God's power; the key to a life dependent on Him; the key to an intimate relationship with the One who longs for us.

No comments: