Thursday, May 01, 2014

In a Blink of an Eye

Next year, all of my children will be in school.  We are enrolling Caleb into the preschool program at our church three days a week.  That means, for the first time since I started staying home, I will have three mornings all to myself.  Even though one part of me is excited, the other part is anxious.  I am sure I will find lots to do with the free time given to me, but this marks the beginning of my newfound freedom, my children growing up, and the search of a new identity.  All of those things make me sad, and I realize how fast time has flown by.  Half of that time was spent cherishing every moment, and the other half was spent with blinders on; letting the world pass me by while I tried to make it to the end of the day.  So much time wasted.  So many opportunities I have missed out on.

We are on the path of His choosing.  There is no randomness about our lives.  Here and now comprise the coordinates of our daily lives.  Most people let their moments slip through their fingers, half-lived.  They avoid the present by worrying about the future or longing for a better time and place.  They forget that their Creator only walks with them in the present.  As we give ourselves more to a life of constant communion with Him, we will find that we have no time for worry.  Thus, we are freed to let His Spirit direct our steps, enabling us to walk along the path of peace.
Luke 12:25-26; Luke 1:79

God tells me today to live in the present.  Do not worry about the future.  I am stressing so much about what I am going to do with my free time next year that I am missing out on what I have now.  I am stressing out about making my free time meaningful that I am missing out on what God might have me do.  He has me exactly where He wants me to be.  There are no mistakes, no randomness.  I need to embrace today, the now.  One day I might be back in the work force and wish with my whole heart that I was at home again.  One day my children will be taller than me and I would do anything for them to be little and innocent again.  Everyday I need to thank God for the blessings He has poured upon me, and not take anything for granted.  I want to live one day at a time, cherishing every moment because in a blink of an eye, this time will pass and I will have missed everything.

No comments: