Monday, May 12, 2014

Happy Mother's Day!

A friend of mine reminded me last night that I failed to blog on yesterday's devotional.  It was Mother's Day, and a crazy day at that, so it escaped me.  I decided to save it for today instead of doing it late last night.  I was tired, and I did not want to rush through it, missing God's message.

5/11/14
Thank Him for our problems.  As soon as our minds get snagged on a difficulty, bring it to Him with thanksgiving.  Then ask Him to show us His way to handle the situation.  As we turn our attention to Him, the problem fades in significance and loses its power to trip us up.  Most of the situations that entangle our minds are not today's concerns.  He lifts the problem out of today and deposits it in the future.  In its place He gives us His peace, which flows freely from His presence.
Philippians 4:6; John 14:27

Yesterday our pastor preached on Godly mothers.  For the past few weeks, God has been dealing with my insecurities as a mom.  He has convicted me, revealed areas in need of improvement and comforted me when I felt like I was failing.  Yesterday's sermon solidifies all that God has been saying and showing me.  I have a lot of concerns and worries, but they are not today's worries, they are the future's.  I get so consumed about future worries, that it is shown through today's actions.  Worries consume me and affect others.  Let them be in the future, and God will help me through them when I get there.

5/12/14
Learn to relate to others through His love rather than ours.  Our human love is limited, full of flaws and manipulation.  Instead of trying harder to help people through our own supplies, become aware of His unlimited supply.  Let His love envelop our outreach to other people.  Many of us have fallen prey to burnout.  Countless interactions with needy people have drained us, without our conscious awareness.  Take time to rest in the love-light of His presence.  He will gradually restore to us the energy that we have lost.  Go to Him, all who are weary and burdened, and we will find rest for our souls.
Exodus 33:14; Matthew 11:28-29

Being a mom to 3 small children is a demanding job.  Last night I got no more than six hours of sleep; interrupted sleep at that!  Then to wake up and get husband off to work and children off to school.  Then I get a second to breath until everyone comes home and its chaos again.  Do not get me wrong, I love staying home and being a mother.  It is a very rewarding job, but sometimes it drains me.  I have nothing left to give by the end of the day.  Sometimes my children are sent to bed without bedtime stories.  But God reminds me to love my children through His love rather than mine.  His supply is limitless, and he can restore me.  Instead of begging for some kind of relief, I need to find rest in Him.

No comments: