Friday, May 02, 2014

Dependence Day

I used to hate eating healthy and exercising.  I dreaded the days when I would have to work out.  Now I do not mind it at all.  I can even say I enjoy it.  It makes me feel alive, healthy and energetic.  What has changed, you might ask.  I have struggled with weight almost my whole life.  It was not until I gave it up to God that I did not have to face that struggle alone.  He has shown me an easy way, an uncomplicated path to a healthy lifestyle.

I love hamburgers; they are my weakness.  The other day Jeremy wanted to go to Hardee's for lunch.  I pulled up, ordered Jeremy a meal and when the gentleman asked "anything else", I was surprised to hear myself say "that's it" and not "a bacon cheeseburger please."  Jeremy was surprised as well because he said "you don't want anything?!"  It was Meatless Tuesday (I switched days this week), and I did not get my workout in that morning.  I could have 1) messed up on meatless day, ate a big fat juicy burger and went home and took a nap or 2) commit to Meatless Tuesday and go home and exercise.  I chose the latter, not because of my own will, but because of God's.  Oh trust me, for a second there, I almost gave in.  But God gives me His willpower when faced with temptation.  He gives me His strength on days I cannot muster up the energy to work out.  He helps me carry the burden.

Living in dependence on Him is the way to enjoy abundant life.  We are learning to appreciate tough times because they amplify our awareness of His presence.  Tasks that we used to dread are becoming rich opportunities to enjoy His closeness.  When we feel tired, remember that He is our strength.  He is pleased when we turn to Him more and more, especially when we are alone.  When we are around other people, we often lose sight of His presence.  Fear of displeasing people puts us in bondage to them, and they become our primary focus.  When this happens, whisper His name.  This brings Him to the forefront of our consciousness.  As we bask in the blessing of His nearness, His life can flow through us to others.  This is abundant life.
Proverbs 29:25; John 10:10


No comments: