Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Peace for the Weary

I am not one of those women who get all dolled up to run to Walmart.  Just yesterday I ran to Target and TJ Maxx with no makeup on and soaking wet hair.  However, on days that I am mingling with a bunch of southern women, who are dressed to the t, I feel the need to at least put on a little bit of makeup and blow dry my hair.  So on those mornings, it gets a little stressful.  We are talking an extra 45 min to an hour, depending on if my closet is cooperating, added to my morning.  So if I know I have plans, the night before is spent making a mental itinerary so that I can get out the door in time.  Waking up the next morning at the time I need to wake up is the hardest part.  I enjoy spending some quiet time before the kids get up, and I want to do it every morning, but when you can't fall asleep the night before (because your husband likes to fall asleep with the tv on) and your littlest one cannot sleep without waking mommy up at least once in the night, 5:30 comes too soon.  But God reminds me today to not search for security in this world.  That we should not make mental checklists in order to gain control, but to be more relaxed and at peace.

Do not search for security in the world we inhabit.  We tend to make mental checklists of things we need to do in order to gain control.  But the more we work to accomplish that goal, the more things crop up on our list.  The harder we try, the more frustrated we become.  There is a better way to find security in this life.  Focus our attention on His presence with us.  This continual contact with Him will keep us in His peace.  He will help us sort out what is important and what is not, what needs to be done now and what does not.  Fix our eyes not on what is seen (our circumstances), but on what is unseen (His presence).
Isaiah 26:3; 2 Corinthians 4:18

No comments: