Tuesday, April 01, 2014

A Tough Job

Being a parent is tough.  I constantly second guess everything when it comes to my kids:  the way I discipline, what I am feeding them, how I am spending time with them, and so much more.  I am afraid that one mistake on my part will veer them down the wrong path when they grow up.  Yesterday Alexa comes home from school with her progress report.  She made straight A's, as usual, and received academic awards.  Chandler, on the other hand, comes home from preschool and tells me he moved his worm yet again.  This is about the 5th time he has moved his worm during the month of March.  Now, Jeremy and I always knew Chandler was going to be our class clown.  We just did not expect it to start in preschool!  But here I am, worried about how I am going to deal with him and school.  Anxiety consumes me, as I struggle with how to discipline him in a way that will not affect him in a negative way.  I call people for parenting advice, but as I read today's devotional, I am reminded that I need to communicate with God because only He knows Chandler's heart, and how to deal with him.

He is calling us to a life of constant communion with Him.  Basic training includes learning to live above our circumstances, even while interacting on that cluttered plane of life.  We yearn for a simplified lifestyle so that our communication with Him can be uninterrupted.  But He challenges us to relinquish the fantasy of an uncluttered world.  Accept each day just as it comes, and find Him in the midst of it all.  Talk with Him about every aspect of our day, including our feelings.  Our ultimate goal is not to control or fix everything around us.  Keep in touch with Him, even if things remain undone at the end of the day.  Do not let our to-do list become an idol directing our lives.  Keep close to Him.
1 Thessalonians 5:17; Proverbs 3:6

How easy it would be if Chandler was like Alexa.  However, He has a purpose for Chandler and a different purpose for Alexa.  So instead of comparing, I need to ask God to reveal to me His plans for them.  I need to raise my children up the way God intends.  I need to seek Him for wisdom and strength.

Currently I am struggling with my eating habit.  I fear that my mind is going back to my old way of thinking; I can eat whatever I want because I am working out.  Lately I have consumed more calories than necessary.  I am living to eat, not eating to live.  Even though I am on top of my exercises, I am not doing so well on the eating part.  I need to get my head in the game or else I will be back on the yo-yo.

No comments: