Thursday, April 24, 2014

Time Management

Rest in the stillness of His presence while He prepares us for this day.  Be still, and know that He is God.  There is both a passive and an active side to trusting Him.  The passive side is resting in His presence.  The active side is responding to the circumstances of our lives with affirmations of trust.  He is always with us, so we have no reason to be afraid.  Our fear often manifests itself in excessive planning.  Our minds are so accustomed to this pattern of thinking that we do not realize how pervasive it is and how much it hinders our intimacy with Him.  Repent and resist whenever we realize we are wandering down this well-worn path.  Return to His presence, which always awaits us in the present moment.  He accepts us back with no condemnation.
Psalm 46:10; Romans 8:1

Chandler has been sick with the stomach bug for the past three days.  As soon as he was back to his old self, I sent him off to school; and since today is Thursday, I attended ladies bible study.  The spring season of ladies bible study has officially come to an end, but they are offering a mini-session for the next three weeks on various topics.  No more small groups, no more formal bible studies, no more homework.  I usually do not attend the mini-sessions, but since Caleb and I have been cooped up in the house with Chandler, I thought it best for both of us to get out.  Today, one of our church members spoke on time management.  She categorized women as unplanners, to-do list ladies or control freaks.  I am borderline to-do list ladies and control freaks.  Then she posed the question, "would your life be different if you sought the Lord in your daily time management?  How?"  I answered "yes.  I would spend it in a way that glorifies God and benefits others.  Priorities over selfish desires."

Instead of jumping out of bed, ready to tackle my tasks for the day, I need to be still and ask God for what He has for me that day.  He might have a different agenda.  He sure did the last three days of this week.  Instead of attending playdates or a MOPS meeting, I was at home catering to my 4 year old.  But spending my time His way allowed me to set aside my selfish desires, and put someone else's needs before mine.  It helped me to see what is important in my life, and place that at the top of my list.  We were told to make a to-do list and put A, B or C next to it.  A means "must be done today or it will lose value."  God has shown me over the past couple of months that things that used to matter do not have value.  It's the things I have placed on the bottom; the things that I thought would always be there; those are the things that must be done today or it will lose value.

No comments: