Sunday, April 06, 2014

Positives and Negatives

Bring Him the sacrifice of thanksgiving.  Take nothing for granted, not even the rising of the sun.  When we focus on what we don't have or on situations that displease us, our mind becomes darkened.  We take for granted life, salvation, sunshine, flowers and countless other gifts from Him.  We look for what is wrong and refuse to enjoy life until that is "fixed".  When we approach Him with thanksgiving, the light of His presence pours into us, transforming us through and through.  Walk in the light with Him by practicing the discipline of thanksgiving.
Psalm 116:17; Genesis 3:2-6; John 1:7

Being grateful is something I consciously have to do.  Whenever I feel like I am always getting the short end of the stick in life, I have to purposefully thank God for all the things I do have.  When I do that, I realize that there are more positives vs. negatives.  It puts into perspective the things that matter in life.  I am grateful for a hard-working husband, three healthy kids, a house and a van.  Who cares if our house is old.  It provides shelter.  Who cares if our van is used.  It gets us around.  If I constantly focus on the negatives, I overlook God's blessings.  I am richly blessed not because I deserve it, but because of God's grace.  I need to learn not to take anything for granted because at any point it could be taken away, and only then will I realize what I had.

No comments: