Friday, April 18, 2014

Lean On Him

I have to be very careful when God brings us through a time of abundance and peace.  It is so easy for me to slip back to putting God in a box, and trying life on my own.  That is until I mess up and pull God back out, asking Him to fix my mess.  I have to consciously, on a daily basis, commit to seeking Him.  Yesterday during our ladies bible study spring luncheon, we had a member of our church give her testimony.  She said the one thing that tests our love for Him is our obedience.  Being obedient to the things God has called me to do allows me to depend on Him.  It is putting aside my desires, and replacing it with His.  It is allowing Christ to live through me, and not me wanting to take over.  Being obedient helps me to stay grounded, and reminds me that God is my provider.  Everything in this world is constantly changing, but God is the one thing that remains constant.  Nothing in my life is because of what I did, but what God has done for me.

Peace is His continual gift to us.  Just as the Israelites could not store up manna for the future but had to gather it daily, so it is with His peace.  The daily collecting of manna kept His people aware of their dependence on Him.  Similarly, He gives us sufficient peace for the present when we come to Him in prayer and petition with thanksgiving.  If He gave us permanent peace, we might fall into the trap of self-sufficiency.  He has designed us to need Him moment-by-moment.  He can meet every need without draining His resources.  Approach His throne of grace with bold confidence, receiving His peace with a thankful heart.
Exodus 16:14-20; Philippians 4:6-7, 19; Hebrews 4:16

No comments: