Monday, April 21, 2014

Mind Games

Let Him control our minds.  The mind is the most restless, unruly part of mankind.  Long after we have learned the discipline of holding our tongue, our thoughts defy our will and set themselves up against Him.  He risked all by granting us freedom to think for ourselves.  This is godlike privilege.  He made us in His image, precariously close to deity.  Though His blood has fully redeemed us, our mind is the last bastion of rebellion.  Open ourselves to His radiant presence, letting His light permeate our thinking.  When His Spirit is controlling our mind, we are filled with life and peace.
Genesis 1:26-27; Romans 8:6

On a daily basis, I have to give my thoughts over to God.  My mind can either encourage or destroy, and it is up to me to decide which way I want it to go.  Yesterday we attended an Easter family gathering, and like at most family get-togethers, there is just way too much food.  I do what I do best; I over-indulge.  This morning as I am putting on my workout pants, I notice my stomach bulging out.  I beat myself up for eating too much the day before, and vow to starve myself today to make up for it.  But instead of beating down on myself, and getting discouraged in the process, I give my thoughts over to God.  He reminds me in today's devotional that my bad thoughts are an act of rebellion against Him.  Instead of complaining, I need to see what He has done over the past few months in my journey.  Who cares if I slip.  I need to get back up and move forward.

As I was making my bed this morning, God revealed some things to me.  God has brought me through trials so that I can encourage others that are on the same path.  I had to come out of my comfort zone in order to be obedient.  I have been so self-centered, making it all about me, when in fact, I am to encourage those who have encouraged me over the years.  He has done some great things because of my obedience, and like I said before, He knows what I need.  He knows what is best, better than what I think is best for me.

No comments: