Wednesday, February 12, 2014

My Prison Cell

My thoughts keep me a prisoner of my own mind sometimes.  It is so hard to escape negative thoughts that beat you down.  For example, some days I feel great about my weight loss.  Excited about the changes I am making, not just physically, but mentally and emotionally as well.  Then I will have a day when I eat a hundred calories too much, or I look at the areas of my body that just are not changing fast enough, and I roll off the tongue with the "what if's".  No matter how hard I try to escape this prison cell of mine, it is also my comfortable place.  The place I sometimes call home because I have been there for way too long, and would not know what to do with myself if I ever escaped.  But I need to leave all those variables up to God, and just do it.  I do not need to linger in that place anymore, if I want to truly make a difference in my life.  If I really want God to change my life for good.

He is near, hovering over our shoulders, reading every thought.  People think that thoughts are fleeting and worthless, but as our thinking goes, so goes our entire being.  We need to let the Holy Spirit help us to think His thoughts.  Let Him be our positive focus.  Modern man seeks his positive focus elsewhere.  Advertising capitalizes on the longings of people for a positive focus in their lives.  Only God can fully satisfy it.  Delight ourselves in Him; let Him become the desire of our hearts.
Matthew 1:23; Psalm 37:4

That is my number one problem.  I seek positive focus in material things; the number on the scale, the square footage of my house, the quantity of friends I have.  Those things will always be up and down depending on what season of life I am in, and where God has placed me.  I do not want to be old when I start enjoying every aspect of my life, because there are some things about this season of life I enjoy; the innocence of my kids, no teenage drama, my youth.  I need to let God take my thoughts captive, and reel me back to Him when I start to venture off to my cell.  I need to board that place up for good!

In other news, I am excited to say that I learned something new the other day.  On my calorie counting app, I can see how many calories I consumed on a weekly basis.  Therefore, if I have a bad day, by the end of the week it will all average out because the majority of the days, I am under my daily calorie intake.  Now I definitely do not need to feel guilty, or beat myself up, for giving in to my taste buds occasionally.

No comments: