Sunday, February 23, 2014

It's Not About Me

As I mentioned in yesterday's post, sometimes I get stuck somewhere between bitterness and self-pity.  I get in that mentality of "it's all about Ju", and if people do not jump on that bandwagon, that's where the self-pity comes in.  That mentality gets replaced with "nobody cares about Ju", and the self-pity turns into bitterness.  But God says...

Be on guard against the pit of self-pity.  When you are weary, this demonic trap is the greatest danger you face.  Don't even go near the edge of the pit.  Its edges crumble easily, and before you know it, you are on the way down.  And it is hard to get out of that pit.  Living close to Him will create a distance between you and the pit.  It is hard to feel sorry for yourself when you are praising and thanking Him.  Live in the light of His presence by fixing your eyes on Him.
Psalm 89:15-16; Hebrews 12:1-2

I have realized that I feel sorry for myself the most when I am weary.  But I can find rest with God.  I need to stay in continual communication with Him because like I said yesterday, it is easier to fall into those fleshly emotions and stay there than to make the conscious effort to not go there.  Bitterness and self-pity only hurts me and the people around me.  It's not an easy choice, but it's the smartest one.

No comments: