Tuesday, February 18, 2014

A Bad Taste

My husband drives a truck for a living.  He picks up and delivers to companies who are in need of flatbed trailers.  He deals with people and traffic on a daily basis.  Most days, it's not all peaches and cream.  Today is one of those days.  I call my husband during lunch and immediately I can tell he has had a bad day.  When that happens, my mood immediately turns sour.  One of the main reasons why his bad day affects my good mood is because those stay-at-home insecurities start creeping in.  Satan starts shouting at me, "if you had a job, he wouldn't have to work so hard"; "what entitles you to do what you want and he can't"; "what good are you if you can't financially contribute".  It just goes on and on.  As a human, I immediately pick up on my phone, wanting to talk to someone about these insecurities and how they are making me feel.  But I reach for my devotional book instead because only God can ease those feelings.

He is with me.  These four words are like a safety net, protecting me from falling into despair.  I am human, so I will always have ups and downs.  But the promise of His presence limits how far down I will go.  Sometimes I feel like I am in a free fall, but as soon as I remember that He is with me, my perspective changes radically.  Instead of bemoaning my circumstances, I can look to Him for help.  He is not only with me, but holding my right hand.
Zephaniah 3:17; Psalm 73:23-26

I tend to let my sour mood linger for awhile, and that starts affecting my outlook on stuff, and my parenting skills.  That's what Satan wants.  For me to break down and crumble all that God is trying to do in me, and in my life.  I need to take a deep breath, talk to God about it and move on.  Who wants a miserable wife and mom?  Not me.  I know, just like when Jeremy is in a bad mood, that my bad mood affects his good mood.  And my bad mood affects the kids' good mood.  So I need to get over pitying myself, and be a strong wife and mom.  I need to be their rock!

No comments: