Monday, February 03, 2014

Mind Over Matter

Yesterday was a pretty hectic day for me, and I did not get a chance to read or blog on yesterday's devotional.  But sitting here, catching up on my devotional, I was meant to read it today.  For the past three weeks, I have been very conscious about what I put in my mouth, and accounting for everything that I eat.  Last night we attended a superbowl party, and I ate everything that the party offered, going back for seconds, even thirds.  I was becoming the old me, allowing my eyes to dictate what and how much to eat.  I woke up this morning regretting my indulgence.  Not only did I feel guilty, but my body was telling me that I overdid it.  I felt defeated.  I felt like all my hard work was going right down the drain.  But as I read yesterday's devotional, this is what God is doing for me.

God is renewing my mind.  When my thoughts flow freely, they tend to move toward problems.  My focus gets snagged on a given problem.  My energy is drained away from other matters through this negative focus.  Worst of all, I lose sight of Him.  A renewed mind is presence-focused.  Train my mind to seek Him in every moment, every situation.  Seek His face, speak to Him, and He will light up my mind.
Romans 12:2; Psalm 105:4

I needed God to step in and change the way I was thinking.  Satan can easily brain wash me.  I am such an easy prey.  But feelings of defeat should make me depend on God's strength even more.  I know that I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me.  If I keep believing Satan's lies, I will ultimately fail.

Today's devotional is about God being with us and for us.  We face nothing alone.  When we feel anxious that is because we are focusing on the visible world.  Fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen.  He will get us through this day.
Romans 8:31; 2 Corinthians 4:18; Genesis 16:13-14

When I am going through a circumstance, it is so easy to become anxious.  I see what is before me, and I cannot escape it.  But I am not to focus on what is seen, but what is unseen.  The seen is the circumstance before me.  The unseen is what God is doing through that circumstance.  I never know why I go through something until I come out of it.  Then I have the a-ha moment when God reveals to me why I went through that circumstance.  I do not enjoy going through a tough time, but I am grateful that God allowed me to go through it.  I do not regret any of the valleys God has led me through.  I would go through them again, knowing what the outcome brings.

No comments: