Wednesday, February 05, 2014

My Command Center

My daughter is 8.  She is going through this stage where everything I ask her to do is followed by a grunt and an attitude.  Last night I had asked her to study for an upcoming test.  Instead of being obedient, she grunted and sat at the kitchen table with an attitude.  She was so annoyed that I asked her to study, that as she annoyingly brushed something off her paper, she knocked over my cup, thus breaking it.  I went off on her!!  Grounded her till she was 17, no electronics, no friends, no nothing.  I had it up to my ears with her.  After awhile, I realized that I had overreacted, apologized to her and we talked through it.  That is how I should have handled it in the first place, but I let my emotions take over.  Even though I let God speak to me about my insecurities yesterday, I never really dealt with them.  Instead, I let more insecurities creep into my mind, therefore letting it affect my state of mind.  God knows my heart.  He knows it is going to take more than one devotional to get through to me. 

Every Wednesday I walk the mall with my friend aka my therapist (haha), and she said something that really stuck to me.  My home is my command center, and I am the CEO (ok I added that part in).  Everything I do or feel affects my home, my kids and my husband.  If I am a mess, so is my household.  I need to make sure things flow around here so that we function well together.  God has placed me here; therefore, He is my boss.  "Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward".  And today's devotional solidifies everything I heard and know.

Seek His face, and we will find not only His presence, but His peace.  We must change our controlling stance to one of openness and trust.  Ask His spirit to control our thoughts, for the mind controlled by the spirit is life and peace.  We can have much of Him and His peace as we want, through thousands of correct choices each day.  The most persistent choice is whether to trust Him or worry.  We will never run out of things to worry about (AMEN to that).  He is our ever-present help in trouble.
Romans 8:6; Psalm 46:1-2

No comments: