Sunday, January 26, 2014

What's Your Journey Say About You?

I have mentioned in a previous post that once I became a Christian, I thought my life would be easy breezy, lemon squeezy (as my kids put it).  How wrong was I! 

Give up the illusion that we deserve a problem-free life.  We hunger for the resolution of all difficulties.  This is a false hope!  As Jesus told His disciples, "in this world you will have trouble".  We should not put our hope in problem solving but to the promise of an eternity of problem-free life in heaven.  Instead of seeking perfection in this fallen world, we need to put our energy into seeking Him.  When things go wrong, trust Him.  He is less interested in right circumstances than in right responses to whatever comes our way.
John 16:33; Psalm 112:4, 7

How often do I think "it would be easier if only ...".  How much energy do I waste wishing some things were not the way they were.  Reality is, it is the way it is and there is nothing I can do to change it.  God has dealt me these cards for a reason.  And as Miley Cyrus puts it (OMG I CANNOT believe I am actually going to quote one of her songs), it's not about what's on the other side, it's about the climb.  There's lots to be learned from a journey to get to where you want to be.  God has taught me many lessons through my many journeys.  The end result is just a blessing from God; Him honoring my obedience to take the journey with Him.  And as I learned in our Life Group today, I do not need to seek perfection based on the world's standards, but by God's standards. 

After church today we went and had lunch at McDonald's.  I have learned through calorie counting that you can make good choices even at fast food restaurants.  I had a ranch BLT grilled chicken sandwich, minus the ranch, and a side salad with lite balsamic vinegarette dressing on the side.  So my entire meal equaled 460 calories.  I have not consumed diet drinks nor artificial sweetener for the past two weeks.  I am giving my body a break this weekend because I somehow hurt my upper right thigh, and it hurts to even walk.  But I am not beating myself up for giving myself a break, like I normally would, and I will start fresh with new workouts tomorrow.  I have learned that beating myself up about eating that one slice of cake I shouldn't have had, or missing one day of working out, only hurts my progress.  So I am cutting myself some slack!

No comments: