Thursday, January 23, 2014

What's Your "300"?

Every Thursday morning I attend a ladies bible study at Church.  We first meet as a big group, then break off into our individual classes.  Within our individual classes, we then break into small groups.  Within our small group, there are a lot of women who are transparent, and I am grateful for that.  For those of you who know me, I tend to be very selective in what I share and whom I share with.  However, today I said more than I usually would.  God brings us through trials for many different reasons.  One of those reasons is so that we can relate and have compassion for those going through the same trials.  Through each trial, we come out a different person.  Our hearts are changed more and more by God. 

Today's devotional touches on the fact that as we live in close contact with God, the light of His presence filters through us to bless others.  Our weakness and woundedness are the openings through which the light of the knowledge of His glory shines forth.  His strength and power show themselves most effective in our weakness.
Deuteronomy 31:6; 1 Peter 3:4; 2 Corinthians 4:6-7; 2 Corinthians 12:9

This season of bible study, I have chosen to study Gideon.  As you may know, Gideon defeated the Midianites with 300 men in his army, while the Midianites had over 100,000.  Gideon's army originally had 66,000 men, but God reduced it to 300 because God 1) did not want Gideon to boast about the victory and 2) showed him nothing is impossible with Him.  When God asks us to perform a task, we think we need this or that to complete it.  But God doesn't want us to boast about what WE have accomplished, but what God has done through us.  He will reduce us to our "300", and when we are feeling outnumbered or in over our heads, that is when we are ready.  If you feel weak in achieving anything God has given to you, do not feel defeated.  Weakness is the key to unlocking God's strength.  He will deliver us with our "300".  He does not ask us to do the hard stuff, but the impossible.

Another important lesson that hit me hard today is about being a changed person, and only growing from there.  God has started a good work in me, and wants to complete it, but I keep going backwards.  This year is all about moving forward, and not looking back.  Two key things: environment matters and posture is everything.  I need to place myself in the right environment to stay straight.  I have no business going where I used to go.  And how I start at the beginning has every bearing on how it is going to finish in the end.  I am so afraid that I will start slipping downhill, and this year will be another year of yo-yo dieting and a so-so relationship with God.  But in this weakness, I can find God's strength.  In order to be successful at anything, I cannot rely on my own strength, but on God's.

Nothing new to report on my road to healthville.  I am still counting my calories and exercising daily.  However, I am having a hard time eating 1200 calories net.  I find myself eating less during the day so I do not go over.  But then it's 7:00 and I still have 300 calories left to eat.  However, I do not want to fill myself up with junk at that hour.  So I just do not fulfill my 1200 calories.  I know that is horrible for my metabolism, and weight loss progress, but I am trying to be better at consuming most of my calories during the day.  It's a learning process, but I am getting better and better at it.

No comments: