Thursday, January 30, 2014

False Gods Bring False Security

For the past few days, my nose has been constantly runny and I cannot stop sneezing.  I thought it was allergies until my two boys woke up this morning coughing and sneezing.  So instead of working out during nap, I napped with them.  It felt good to rest my body, but once I woke up the guilt of not having worked out comes to haunt me.  My husband stopped by the house on his route to Valdosta, to let the Atlanta traffic subside.  I took that opportunity to walk around our neighborhood.  I only got 25 minutes in before it got dark, but that was enough to rid the guilt away.  So now it is 8:04 pm and I am just not settling down to read my devotional.

Worship Him only.  Whatever occupies our mind the most becomes our god.  Worries, if indulged, develop into idols.  Anxiety gains a life of its own, infesting our mind.  Break free from this bondage by affirming our trust in Him and refreshing ourselves in His presence.  He reads our thoughts continually, searching for evidence of trust in Him.  Guard our thoughts diligently; good thought-choices will keep us close to Him.
Psalm 112:7; 1 Corinthians 13:11

In this journey I am taking, there are some things I can let Him have.  Finances, for example, is one of them.  Of course there are days when I have anxiety about it, but I know that no matter what it says in our checkbook, He is our sole provider.  I can give gratefully and cheerfully knowing that God will honor our obedience and bless us; not necessarily with money, but in so many other ways.  I have to share that ever since my husband started tithing beyond the 10% we are told to give, he has been home every night without it affecting us financially.  That is the hand of God working in our lives.  

However, exercise is one of those areas that I just cannot let Him have at 100%.  I feel like I need to get a control over it before it controls me.  But it already has a control over me.  I let it dictate my mood and how I feel about myself.  But God tells me to worship Him only.  That the things that occupy my mind becomes my god.  If I do not get a handle on it, I will unconsciously let that become my god.  And as God commands, "you shall have no other gods before me".

No comments: