Monday, January 20, 2014

An Ordinary Day

Today is MLK day, and the kids are off from school.  It's not your typical day, filled with things to do and not enough time to do it.  No, today is just an ordinary day.  I welcome the break from the chaos, but sometimes I long to have something to do.  So instead of enjoying this break, I accepted an invitation to get out.  As I was checking off the things I needed to do before I left the house, such as exercising, making homemade playdough (for Chandler's class), and doing my bible study, I began to realize that I was creating chaos on a non-chaotic day.  So I made the decision to just stay home.  As I was doing my bible study, I came across this:

'God often comes to us in our "boring" days, veiled in the most ordinary of circumstances.  In fact, "ordinary" is often the disguise of his divine.  If we are constantly anticipating a grandiose event to accompany the times when we encounter Him or hear His voice, we will miss out on many intimate moments in our relationship with God.  The mundane, the routine, the commonplace-these are often the contexts in which He will reveal Himself to humanity'

Then I read today's devotional and it just adds onto the paragraph above.  It talks about making plans for your day.  We need to remember that God orchestrates the events of our lives.  On days when our plans are thwarted, be on the lookout for Him.  He maybe doing something important in your life.  We need to be in constant communication with Him, accepting that His ways are better than ours.  Don't try to figure out what is happening.  Just simply trust and thank Him in advance for the good that will come out of it.
Isaiah 55:9-11; Jeremiah 29:11

Whoa!  Totally needed that today!  This morning I had a plan!  Then I realized I possibly could not do it all, and still get out of the house at a decent hour, so I made the decision not to go out.  And here I am, sitting outside on this beautiful day, spending time with the Lord and watching my children play on the trampoline; all the while thanking God for the slowness I needed to experience today.  Everyday does not have to be a rush rush.  I need to slow down once in awhile and enjoy the blessings of God.  Today's blessings are to be able to stay home and be with my kids, to have 3 beautiful, healthy kids, to have food to eat and a bible to read.  If I had decided to leave the house, I would've rushed through my time with the Lord.  But the Lord knows what I needed today, and He provided, through the most ordinary of circumstances.

No comments: