Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Mysterious, Isn't He?

My children received gift cards in the mail today from their grandparents, so Jeremy and I loaded up the boys, picked up Alexa from the bus stop and headed to Walmart to allow them to pick out one toy each, and Jeremy and I got a few things we needed (the kids owe us, right?!). I was in a bit of a rush because Alexa has gymnastics tonight and I knew I had to get home, cook dinner, get everyone fed, and rush off to gymnastics.  But my husband and kids had another agenda.  They cruised around Walmart without a care in the world, while I was constantly checking my phone for the time.  By the time we got home, I was in a rush to get dinner fixed, have everyone fed, and send Jeremy off to gymnastics.  I had decided that He, not I, would take Alexa and Chandler (he likes to go and play with his friend), so I could eat dinner and blog in peace.  So here I am, at my kitchen table, eating this delicious seafood stuffed salmon fillet, which only has 420 calories, and sharing with you what God has laid on my heart today.  I have to describe what took place at Walmart, and when I arrived back home, as chaotic!  As I opened up my devotional tonight, I thought how fitting would it be if God spoke on "if your day does not go your way", but He did not.  Instead, He spoke on wanting me to depend solely on Him.

He wants us to be ALL His.  He wants to wean us from other dependencies.  Our security should rest in Him alone, not on other people or circumstances.  Depending on Him may feel like a tightrope, but there is a safety net underneath: His everlasting arms.  So do not be afraid of falling.  Instead, look ahead to Him.  Nothing in all creation can separate us from His loving presence.
Deuteronomy 33:27; Romans 8:39

Before I sat down with my dinner to blog, I looked over our budget first.  My husband has committed this year to tithe beyond the 10% we normally give.  That is a big commitment, and I am proud of my husband's obedience.  However, when looking at our budget it worries me.  I rest my security on the numbers on our bank account, and not on what God can do through us tithing beyond what we are told to give.  God reminds me that He wants ALL of me.  He does not want me to depend on our bank account.  And yes, depending solely on Him does feel like I am walking on a tightrope, but He is our safety net, not our money.  He will honor our obedience, and I put my security in Him.

I bet you are asking why I titled my post today Mysterious, Isn't He?  Well like I said, I had a hectic late afternoon.   I thought for sure that with how my day ended, that God would speak to me about that.  However, He went in a totally different direction.  And as I have mentioned in a previous post, I read my devotionals at different times of the day.  And no matter what time I read them, it always seems to be at the most perfect time.  Well, I had a reason for looking at our budget tonight.  And if I hadn't, or I read this devotional earlier, this post would have gone a totally different direction.  But everything is on His perfect time, and not mine.  And He is here to teach me, to redirect me and to change my heart.  So yes He is mysterious, but loving and compassionate as well.

In other news, I have to say I am very proud of myself.  Not only am I still exercising everyday, and counting my calories, but I have tremendous willpower.  At our MOPS meeting today, I stared at all the mouth-watering casseroles, and settled on some fruit and some sausage balls.  I even brought a protein bar just in case there was nothing for me.  I feel so refreshed and so healthy.  I know I could not have done all this by myself.  I know that I had to give it to God so that I could enlist His help.  My husband has been very supportive as well.  I know this past Sunday at lunch I was tempted to have a cheat day, but my husband said it is not even worth it, and He was right.  I am an all or nothing kind of girl, so I know that one cheat day could have a domino effect, and my husband knows me all too well.  When I say I am going on a diet, it does not last long, but I do want health and wellness to be a part of my life, and I need to stay focused and committed in order to achieve that.

No comments: