Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Update

It has been a tiring week. Jeremy, my mom and I have been driving to the hospital everyday this week to see Alexa. She has made a lot of improvements. Her jaundice level has gone down, so they took her off the light treatment which gives her more energy to eat; she is in a regular bed and has been able to keep her temperature; she is breathing well on her own; and she is breastfeeding very well. The nurses are saying she has a good strong suck. She has been downing all of her bottles within a matter of 15 minutes. However, the doctor wants to see her drink 8 bottles in one day for them to release her. But the problem is, the doctor has only ordered 4-6 bottles a day. The nurses are feeding her the bottle every other feeding. The rest is done by tubes. Therefore, the nurses are only giving her the bare minimum that the doctor has ordered. I have a feeling she is going to be in there for a long time because of how slow the hospital are taking things. Jeremy and I would like for them to give her a bottle every feeding and IF she happens to not drink it all, then tube the rest. The nurse told us today that once all the antibiotics, that they pumped into her the first few days, are out of her system, then she will have more energy and will be able to take more bottles. One major improvement is that she got transferred to a less critical unit of the preemie nursery, which is a sign that she is doing very well.

I miss her. I am so ready to be a mom, but with her not next to me, it is so hard for me to feel like one. After leaving the hospital, I cried because I can't be with her 24/7. I don't want her to think we are deserting her nor do I want her to feel unloved or alone. The nurses don't hold her. They don't have the time to love her with all the other babies. Jeremy and I are only allowed to hold her for so long because she needs her rest. I just hate leaving her there with no one to love her.

Everyone raves about how great Northside is. We hate it. Alexa has a really bad diaper rash because the nurses change her every 3 hours. They let her sit in her own crap for three hours. I wish they would change her more often, especially since she has that bad rash. I just can't wait to take her home and take good care of her.

I want to end in a happy note. Jeremy and I got a new camera and a camcorder. We are ready to film our little girl coming home!

3 comments:

Kari said...

Oh sweetie! I hope she comes home soon! I hope that you guys can be there with her to push the nurses to do the right thing and get her ready to come home.

You're probably not sleeping to well right now, knowing that she's there so try and get some rest when you can.

((((Hugs))))

Taylor said...

I'm so sorry to hear all of this. I guess we all expected her to be home sometime this week. But it's better for her to be there under supervision if she is not ready to come home yet.

You know I'm here if you need me, for anything. I truly wish that we could be able to go and love on Miss Alexa but it seems like everytime we try to go something doesn't work out! Tuesday night my Mom didn't get home until late and then last night James told Josh that y'all weren't up at the hospital! Just let me know when y'all plan on being up there in the evening oneday so we can come up.

Hang in there Ju, I know it's rough but try your best to look on the bright side...you've got a happy healthy baby - despite the diaper rash and such. Sometimes babies just get diaper rashes, regardless of how often you change them. Even though they may not be checking on her as often as you would like, she's under great care...the best care in the United States!

We love you Alexa, Ju, and Jeremy! Stay strong, your time to be a close family will be here before you know it :)

Love y'all.

Taylor said...

To: Alexa
From: Tristyn

n . n n iuhjbnhjjjmlop-[=]]\


Tris just had to type a message to her cousin!

Oh, congrats on the new camera and video recorder! That is AWESOME!