Friday, January 06, 2006

The Moment We Have Been Waiting For...

Alexa gets to come home tomorrow! Jan, the nurse practitioner who assesses her everyday, called today and said that she is doing extremely well and is taking all of her bottles, so she is going to be discharged tomorrow. She would be discharged today, but she hasn't gained any weight, so they want to keep her there tonight to see if she will gain any weight. That's okay with us because we still have a few more things to do in her room and we also have to pick up her piggy bank that we had personalized for her, and that store is near the hospital, so tomorrow works out best for us. Also, tomorrow is Jeremy's birthday and this is a great birthday present for him. She will be home to celebrate her daddy's birthday! Jan told us just to call tomorrow to set up an appointment with her nurse so we can do the one hour car seat test and then go over discharge information. I'll probably set my alarm to 6:00 a.m. so we can get her early. I probably won't even be able to sleep!

I am kind of nervous about her coming home though. I don't know if I will do a good job. I've been waiting for this moment since last Thursday, and now that she is finally coming home, I am getting nervous. Especially since she is a preemie, I don't know if the house will be too cold/hot for her, if she will eat well for us, etc. I hope my maternal instincts kick in soon and being a mother will come easy to me.

Another great news. My insurance called me today and said that the accident was not my fault, so that girl's insurance should cover my damages and my insurance will not go up. I am happy about that.

I also dropped my courses for this semester so I can focus my whole attention on Alexa. Before I had her, I thought I can be supermom. Work full time, then go to school at nights, but ever since I had her, I just want to be near her 24/7. Especially with what we have been going through this past week, I don't know if I could have kept up on my school work. I would rather drop this semester than fail and lose my Hope scholarship.

Having my mom here has been great. She does everything: laundry, dishes, cooking, cleaning. I just sit here on the couch and ask her to bring me things. It's like having a maid. I am so glad Alexa will be home so that my mom could spend time with her before she goes home. I am especially glad that we can hold her, change her diaper and stuff like that without all the wires. I will update everyone as to how it is going with her at home. Thanks to everyone for their prayers.

5 comments:

Me said...

Okay so I'm better late than never. Congratulations on Miss Alexa! She's just beautiful! I'm glad she gets to come home tomorrow. How exciting!

I remember always wanting to be with Grace too. I hated having to go back to work. You're going to be a wonderful mom. Don't be nervous. Everything will come so natural and, before you know it, you'll have the hang of everything.

Keep us posted :)

Kari said...

I know that telling you not to worry won't help. Just know that you may never feel like you're doing all the right things or being the perfect mom, but others will be able to see it. So, listen to what everyone is telling you, for reassurance. My SIL had a preemie and she felt the same way. You worry alot more than those mama's that have babies that go right home. Just know that you are normal, and that you have a wonderful support system and you are going to be a great mama!

Congratulations!

By the way I was in tears when you mentioned that it was Jermey's Birthday too tomorrow! That is SO special! I hope you all have a wonderful day as a new family. Don't forget the camera! I want to see some coming home, first day home and daddy's B-day pics! LOL.

Big Hugs going out to the 3 of you tonight! ((((()))))

Taylor said...

I GET TO SEE HER TONIGHT! I GET TO SEE HER TONIGHT! I GET TO SEE HER TONIGHT! YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYA!

I am so happy for you and Jeremy! This is going to be the BEST day of your entire life. Don't worry about the maternal instincts, I'm sure they'll kick in as soon as you leave the hospital. You know I'm always here if you have any questions along the way. I learned a lot from my friend Stephanie so hopefully I can pass the knowledge to you :)

Today is going to be a GLORIOUS day! I can't wait to share it with the both of you.

WELCOME HOME ALEXA!

Taylor said...

Opps, I meant the three of you!

I'm getting so excited!

Don't worry Kari, I'll be there with my fully charged camera ready to take a million pictures of that precious baby girl!

Choppzs said...

Like Beth said, everything will come totally naturally for you when you bring your little baby home!! It's almost like gut instincts take control of everything and you naturally know what to do. Even if you don't, it's fine to call someone or as I have done, look it up on the internet!! lol I am so glad you get to finally bring her home and spend some one on one time with her without nurses and wires and all that. It's completely different once you get home too, because you don't have to worry about what the nurses are telling you what to do, and all that. If you make a mistake you say ooops and go about fixing it and learning. Good luck!!