Friday, January 06, 2006

A Rollercoaster

Yesterday, my stress level was like a rollercoaster. One minute I would be stress free, the next minute my stress level will be at its highest. It started in the morning. My mother and I go down to the hospital to see Alexa and the nurse tells me she has had four bottles in a row. Taking 35 cc in less than 30 minutes. I breastfed her at noon and she feeds for 15 minutes and then takes another 32 cc from the bottle as a supplement. Everything is going great. We stick around until 3 so I can feed her the bottle and she takes 33 cc.

We leave around 4 and while driving home on GA 400, this lady loses control of her car, crosses two lanes of traffic and hits the truck in front of me. Going 60-65 miles per hour, I could not stop in time, so I hit him. My brand new 2.5 month old Tahoe is crushed on the left side of the hood. I am shaking and my stress level goes up to the max. The cop comes, gives me a court date and says the insurance companies will come up with who has to pay for the damages on my car. It better be that girl's insurance. But still, I think our insurance will go up for this.

Then I get home and Jeremy's mother tells me that at 6 p.m., Alexa only drank 20 cc (Jeremy's mom and stepfather went up to see her last night), and if she doesn't take the next 15 with Laurie, her nurse, then they will tube feed her. There goes my stress level. I don't want her being tube fed anymore because she was doing so well. She had 6 bottles straight in a row with no problems and taking it all in.

Well, last night I called and her nurse told me that she was doing great and she just needed a little rest before her feedings. When my mother and I went up there about 11:30, she was held by either my mom or I for 4 hours, so that is why she only took 20 cc at 6:00 p.m. But her nurse did inform me that Laurie tried to give her the other 15 cc by bottle and she took 13 cc, so that was close enough. Then her 9:00 feeding, she took 40 cc. So she is doing extremely well. That would have been her 9th bottle in a row.

This morning I called and she has Laurie again as her nurse, which is so strange because she never has the same nurse twice. But I am glad because Laurie is great with her. She tells me she had the bottle all night and did wonderfully. She has been taking in more than 40 cc. She said her jaundice is still low, at a 8.4, and if she does well all day today, she might come home tonight or tomorrow morning. Let's pray for tonight because Jan, the nurse practitioner, said she only need 8 in a row and if she does well all day today, she should have taken in like 12 in a row. We will see what Jan says after she assesses her today.

Thanks to everyone who has been keeping us in your prayers. I am truly grateful for everyone's support.

1 comment:

Taylor said...

YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY! I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited to hear about this! I've been wondering how she was today but didn't want to call and disturb you. Please call and let me know if she gets to come home tonight! I am so exciting for you and Jeremy!

So glad that you and your sweet Mother are safe.