Thursday, January 12, 2006

First Doctor's Appointment

Today was Alexa's first doctor's appointment. It went extremely well. She gained 7 oz. and is an ounce over her birth weight. She shrunk an inch though. When she was born, she was 19 in. and now she is 18 in. I think it's because her conehead went down a lot since she was born. The pediatrician said that since she was gaining a good amount of weight, I don't have to wake her up every three hours at night to feed her. If she looks content sleeping, let her sleep, but do not go over five hours without feeding her at night. My mom has been keeping her with her at nights so I can get some sleep and my mom said that last night, Alexa would not wake up for her feeding, and my mom had to force her awake so she can eat and she did not eat too well. So the pediatrician said just to let her sleep.

Her cord fell off today. When I undressed her at the doctor's office, I noticed that her cord was gone and I asked my mom when it fell off and she remembered it being intact when she last changed her diaper. So we looked in her onesie and it was attached to it. So I am happy to say that she has a cute little belly button. Jeremy wants to save it, but I think it's gross.

The doctor said we should increase the amount of milk we put in her bottle. We have been feeding her 60 cc, but my mom last night fed her about 80 cc. She took it all. So the doctor said to increase it and give her as much as she wants. She also said that since Alexa is on breast milk, we should give her a multivitamin once a day, which confuses me because I thought breast milk was better than formula. Since Alexa has been drinking so much milk, my supply that I had stacked up is nearly gone, which brings me to my next topic...

I want to stop pumping. I try to breastfeed Alexa, but she doesn't seem to do very well. She gets tired after one breast. I know it takes time, but I am really tired of pumping every three hours. I want to stop pumping and give Alexa formula. Is that selfish of me? The reason I started in the first place was to give her the colostrum, but now that that is gone, it feels pointless in giving her breast milk, especially since the pediatrician is telling me she needs a multivitamin. Do y'all think Alexa will transition well to formula? I guess so because that is what they were giving her at the NICU unit before I started giving them what I had pumped. I need help. I want the best for my daughter, but pumping just really wears me out. What should I do?

6 comments:

Me said...

Ya know, after I went back to work, I had to pretty much pump all the time and it really sucked. Eventually I was only getting maybe 4 ozs after 6 hrs, so I opted to stop. Grace transitioned pretty well, since we were having to mix formula with the breastmilk anyway. She did good on the cheap Walmart brand. Not only is it cheap, but it seemed to work just as well as Similac or Enfamil.

I don't think it's selfish of you to want to just stop. I think people put too much emphasis on the whole nursing thing. It's up to each individual mother what they feel is best for them and their child. If you feel that is best, do it. You're doing the work, not anyone else.

I didn't keep the cord either. Ick :)

Sorry for the book!

Choppzs said...

I agree with Beth! I pumped exclusively for 4 months because Zachary wouldn't nurse well either. It really sucks waking up in the middle of the night, listen to them cry for 10 mins. while your trying to get at least a 4 oz. bottle pumped for them. After about 3 months of pumping, I started gradually mixing in formula to his bottle and that's how I transitioned him. But I know allot of people just stop and switch and their babys have no problems. Now my kids on the other hand have been notorious for being gassy and colicky so that's why I opted for the mixing.

It's not selfish at all to want to switch to formula. You need to do what you feel is best for you and Alexa. Plus, daddy gets to participate more in feedings when they are on formula (aka daddy getting up at night to make the bottle and feed! lol) and you get to sleep through it without having to pull out the pump. For me, if Zachary would have exclusively nursed, I would have continued to breastfeed, but with pumping it's totally different!!

I don't understand the multivitamin thing either, unless it's specifically because she was born early and needs extra vitamins??? Sounds kind of strange to me because breastmilk is the only thing she should need! Hmmm...??? lol

Sorry for the book also, just wanted to give you some more reassurance that formula feeding is not bad for babies (sometimes traditionalist breastfeeding mothers tend to make people feel bad for formula feeding) and you do what you need to do!! Good luck!

Taylor said...

I suggest going to the book store and getting a couple of books and reading up on the situation.

My advice from personal experience is that if you truly want to breastfeed than keep trying and try your hardest. She may start nursing well after some practice. I only say that because I wish now that I hadn't given up so early with Tristyn. If you want to keep trying than do, if she doesn't get the hang of it after a week or two of continous trying then switch her to formula.

Even if you do switch to just formula you are still going to have to be up all during the night anyway so you might as well keep pumping a couple of times a day! Tasha is just pumping a night and getting atleast a bottle or two of breastmilk for Mason. Some is better than none...even if you only do it for a couple of weeks.

You have to do what you want to and what feels right to you.

Taylor said...

PS - I kept the cord. It may be gross but it might be something they would like to see when they are older!

Jennifer Laycock said...

I hear where you're coming from with the tired of pumping thing. I pumped exclusively for my daughter until she was 13 months old. It was hard, hard work.

It gets better though...once you get your supply established you can usually cut back on how often you pump. After about a month, I was able to pump four times a day and get about 40 ounces. That gave me enough extra that I could donate some to a milk bank.

The breastfeeding thing really is worthwhile past the colustrum stage. New research comes out continually about the benefits of breastfeeding. Reduced risk of diabetes, cancer and other issues for mom, reduced risk of tons of things for babies.

Let's also not forget how much cheaper it is. Formula will cost you $100-200 a month. Breast milk is free.

It's understandable to want to gte some sleep...and it's understandable to be frusrated with how difficult it can be to nurse and to pump. Ultimately, you have to do what you have to do to stay sane, but know that this whole nursing thing WILL get easier if you stick with it.

Oh, and the vitamins for breastfeeding thing...it's mostly for the Vitamin D which doesn't get passed through breastmilk. Make sure that your child gets half an hour or so of sunlight a week and you don't need them.

Best of luck to you whatever you decide!

Kari said...

It really is your decision sweetie. All the other have made great points.

Your not selfish. Your tired and overwhelemed. Its natural.

I've nursed Delaney for a year. I'm on the last step of weaning her now. Saying that, I know that nursing isn't for everyone. And, its not as easy and natural as its made out to be. It's a learning process.

I've given Delaney a multiviatim since she was a few weeks old at the suggestion of our ped.

Hang in there. Sounds like Alexa is doing great!

I didnt keep the cord either, yuck.