Friday, January 27, 2006

Ouch!

Somebody once told me that the best time to cut an infant's nails is when they are asleep. That's when they are still and you are less likely to clip their skin. Well, I cut Alexa's nails about a week and a half after she was born, and I found it pretty easy. Today after her bath, she fell asleep. I took this opportunity to give her nails a trim. I felt confident and less nervous this time around because I have done it once successfully. I was on my last finger when all of a sudden, she flinched and started to cry. Once I calmed her down, I went back to that finger and realized that I cut her skin. It started to bleed, not much, but enough to make me feel so awful.

She had her month old checkup appointment today. Guess how much she weighs...6 lbs 14 oz! I can't believe it. I can't believe she is almost 7 lbs. I figured she gained weight because her face looks a little chubbier and she has a double chin now, but I wasn't for sure. The doctor said she looks great and very healthy.

In a month, she will go back to get her second round of the hepatitis shot. We will see how that goes!

4 comments:

Kari said...

oh, poor thing...those fingers are just so tiny! Sounds like she's doing great! Let's see some more pics! She's just so darn adorable!

P.S. I saw the pic on Tay site of you, her and Di and let me tell you that you look great! What a beautiful Mommy!

Me said...

I'm so glad her appt. went well. Before you know it, she'll be 20 lbs. :)

Thankfully I never got Gracie with the nail clippers. And thankfully now, she sees me pull them out and actually sits still for me while I do it! Can you believe that?? Don't fret, Miss Alexa forgives you :)

Taylor said...

Owie! I'm so sorry to hear that!

I always found it easiest to bite Tris' nails off when she was little. Sometimes I still do because it's just so hard to make sure you're not clipping the skin. The pediatrican actually told me to do! Or you can use a baby nail file, they work great.

Choppzs said...

Oh that's been done on this end many times!! lol My husband actually prefers the biting method himself (that's after he clipped a couple fingers lol) I have never had trouble with the clippers, but I better knock on wood!!!