Thursday, July 07, 2005

My First Appointment

Today was my first prenatal appointment. I was so excited that I couldn't sleep last night. We went to bed late and I woke up early, even though I had the day off. I was just too excited about seeing my baby on the screen. So we arrived at the hospital at 11:30 and we filled out some consent forms, for like the HIV test and Cystic Fibrosis test. I chose not to be tested for Cystic Fibrosis because I don't know if my insurance will cover it and since I am not really at high risk, I figured why be tested. After giving a urine sample and getting weighed (I gained a pound and a half), they checked my iron and hemoglobin. Everything turned out fine. Then I was transferred to a room where they did a pap smear and then the doctor did the vaginal ultrasound. It was awesome. I saw my little baby and its little heartbeat. It was fluttering really fast. I didn't ask the rate of the heartbeat, but the doctor said it looked perfect. I'm actually surprised at its size because I am only 9 weeks and I just expected to see a dot, but it looks like a peanut. I was more excited to see the heartbeat because it just made it seem so real. The doctor gave me a couple of pictures so hopefully I'll get them scan soon so everyone can see.

After the appointment, Jeremy wanted me to stop by his office to show him. He was really excited. He went with me to the appointment, but his brother called and did something to almost mess up our loan that we are trying to get to refinance our house, so Jeremy had to leave and clean that mess up. I really wish that he was there though. He missed his baby's first heartbeat and ultrasound. I really wanted to share that special moment with him. But at my next appointment, August 4, the doctor said we will be able to hear the heartbeat with a doppler and Jeremy promised to be there for that.

My morning sickness has been calming down. I've been feeling pretty good this week. I would get nauseous and gag, but didn't vomit. But I still have food aversions that make me sick at the thought of them. I can't believe I am almost into the second trimester. It's all going so fast. I've been obsessed with A Baby Story. I watch it religiously. Watching the show makes me want to meet our baby so badly.

So that's what happened at my first appointment. I can't wait to hear the baby's heartbeat! I definitely will not be able to sleep the night before that appointment...LOL!

3 comments:

Taylor said...

I am so glad that your appointment went really well. I am sorry that Jeremy had to leave before the ultrasound but you know he will be there for your next appointment to hear the heartbeat :)

I am so glad that you stopped by to show me the pictures of the little peanut. I agree, it's so amazing that it is already so big. I didn't even think about it while you were here but we could've scanned in the pictures! Darn.

I hope your feel good streak continues! I know it must be such a relief to start feeling better.

Talk to you soon :)

Kari said...

I'm so happy that your appointment went well. Kind of stincks that Jermey had to leave but it will make the next appointment that much more special again.
I can't wait to see your pics! I couldn't believe it either when I saw my friend Michele's 1st ultrasound pics, you really don't expect to see much and then you're just amazed. Hope your morning sickness stays down. Keep in touch...

Choppzs said...

Found you through Kari! I am going through all the same things! My morning sickness is calming down, but hits me bad every once in a while. The meds help! Lots of foods make me throw up too, things that I use to love to eat, and that stinks! Good luck with your next appointment. I am almost 12 wks, and had the same type of 1st appointment a couple weeks ago. I saw my little one too! It still amazes me, even the 3rd time around!