Sunday, May 07, 2006

How Rude!

Sometimes I don't understand why people say the things they say. I don't understand why people think they can say incredibility rude things to people they don't know. My friend and I went out to lunch yesterday. While we are being sitted, two older woman who were sitting at a table next to us turns around and looks at Alexa. They keep looking at her and smiling. As they are getting up to leave, one of them comes up to me and asks me if she can gawk at my baby. I said sure. She has the audacity to say you must starve her. She is dwindling down to nothing. I was astonished!!! Before I can get a word in, she says she is a beautiful baby and walks away. I am not quite sure if I heard her correctly because the restaurant was so loud. However, my friend says, did she say what I think she said? So I guess I did hear correctly. The nerve of some people!

Anyway, after lunch, we head on over to the mall and while we were in Williams Sonoma, a lady asks if she can see Alexa. So I said sure and she looks into the stroller and says she's beautiful. Then she says to Alexa, you don't miss a meal do you? On a normal day, that would be a bit offending. Are you calling my baby a fatty? But this day I proceeded to thank her and told her what the other lady said. She commented on how rude people can be. I mean Alexa is four months old and weighs 13 lbs. My goodness. I think that she is very healthy. Anyway, even though it's not true and I don't starve my baby, that lady made me feel horrible. It made me question whether I'm a good mom and if people view me that way. I don't understand why people don't think before they speak.

10 comments:

Taylor said...

Try not to take things people say to heart, most of the time they are just kidding around! I'm sure that woman did not mean that you really starve your child...she probably just meant that she's not a chubby baby!

Kendra Lynn said...

Every baby is different. And there are some MIGHTY rude folks out there.
I oughta know...I have a couple family members that take the cake.
Ugh. I hate that.
I think Alexa is lovely and healthy.

Wendy aka Cheeky said...

Every one has an opinion. What counts is that you have a healthy child.

People are extremely rude and I am amazed daily to the extent of what people will say.

My daughter was a fatty - but to look at her now you would never know. My son was not small but solid....again to look at him now he is the picture of health.

Don't let it get to you sweetieQ

Tammy Williams said...

However that lady meant it, I still don't know why it was said. Why say anything like that at all. I would probably just say she's beautiful and that you are really lucky to have her and leave it at that. Don't worry - we know you are a GREAT mommy and that little Alexa is just very healthy.

Taylor said...

No, vote for ME you SIL over at Christies! LOL! I was nominated too =)

Kari said...

I would hate to see what she thought about Delaney when she weighed 10lbs at 6 months!

Don't sweat it sweetie. You don't starve your baby and people say stupid stuff. Trust me, I've heard my share!

eyes_only4him said...

oh thats normal..calling babis fat is a completment..or so I think anyway...my girsl were alwyas called cute fat babies, my son was called a lanky baby..hhahah..he was skinny, still is..

but alexa is beautful..and well fed too;)

Me said...

Ditto to what Taylor said. I know how easy it is to take things so personally being a first time mommy, but try not to sweat it and just enjoy everyone thinking, and saying, how positively beautiful Alexa is (even though you, of course, already know that)!!! You know you're an awesome mommy!

MarylandMommy said...

I thought I had met all the stupid rude people in the world! I think Alexa is adorable just the way she is!!!

Choppzs said...

Oh, people suck!! lol Can't they ever just keep their mouths shut, and tell you that the baby is cute and leave it at that?? lol Sometimes you wonder why people feel the need to say other things when they don't even know you. Hmmm