Monday, April 24, 2006

Tour de Georgia

As of this weekend, I can officially say that I am an expert on the State of Georgia. I can tell you where each and every town lies in Georgia. On Friday, Taylor and I buckled up our girls and drove to Lake Hartwell to spend time with the grandparents. They rented a campground for the weekend so they could take their boat out. We ended up staying the night in their camper, along with our other SIL and her husband and Taylor's husband who came up after work. So needless to say, it was pretty tight inside the camper and we all did not get a good night's sleep.

On Saturday, I decided to leave before anyone else because I wanted to spend time with Jeremy. My other SIL gave me directions, but said she was unsure and to wait for her husband to get the correct directions. I wanted to leave right then because it was a little after 3 and if I left then, I could get home in time for Alexa's 5:00 feeding (I have to schedule my trips around Alexa's feeding schedule because there is nothing like a screaming baby in the back and nobody to calm her down). So I told her if I get lost, I can just pull over and ask for directions. How wrong was I?!?!

Not only did I get EXTREMELY (note the stress on the word) lost, but I couldn't find a single gas station for miles. I was on country roads with only one house per mile. I was also the only car on the road. I felt like I was in a scene of Children of the Corn. Anyway, I finally see an elderly couple walking in front of their house, so I pull over and ask for directions to the interstate. They had no clue what an interstate was! So I asked for the next town. Here's how the conversation went:

Me: Where is this road leading me? Is there a town coming up?

Woman to Man: Hmmmm, you know how we get to Kmart.

Me: Yes, Kmart. How do I get there?

Woman: Take a right.

Me: Okay, which right? What road?

Woman: You know, it's a right.

Well, thanks for clarifying for me, I wasn't sure which road to take...note a hint of sarcasm. So I proceed to drive endlessly on this deserted road and finally come to a small town. I stop by an antique store and ask the clerk how to get on the interstate. He told me the interstate was about 40 miles away. By this time, I have toured the whole top part of Georgia.

So finally I get on the interstate and it says Atlanta, 60 miles. WHAT?!?! So after driving about 30 miles, we come to a dead stop. There was a previous accident on the road and it was like a parking lot. So I got off the exit via an on-ramp (I was desperate) and come to a gas station. I ask the attendant if he knew the back roads to my destination and he says they will all be backed up because of this accident and it's best if I just hang out at his store for a couple of hours until the traffic dies down. Thanks but no thanks. So I ask this nice couple that were selling hot dogs and hamburgers in the parking lot and they tell me the way.

Meanwhile, all this time I am on the phone with my FIL getting directions. You see, the exit I got off of was in a town his mother lived in, so he was very familiar with the area (about time I got some luck). During this whole adventure, I was hysterically crying because I was lost, frustrated and scared. I hate getting lost and not knowing where I am going. Especially when I am in the country (and this was country country) and have no cell phone service. Plus, Alexa was crying from starvation and I was feeding her in the backseat in a ghetto (and I mean ghetto) gas station. And mind you, I was all alone.

Anyway, I finally made it home and I was relieved to see civilization. Now Jeremy knows why I don't want to move into the country. Especially after this adventure, I never want to hear country again!

9 comments:

Taylor said...

We were so worried! Next time you'll know to stay and wait for directions!

Me said...

OMG! I'd freak out too! But I'm glad you got to where you were going in one piece!!!

Kendra Lynn said...

Whoooboy. I've been in situations like that. My sister and I got lost in the ghetto of Indianapolis once. Dark, scary...I'm glad you made it home okay.

Kari said...

LMAO at the old couple.

That's some scary stuff!!! Glad you girls made it home in one piece!

eyes_only4him said...

damn woman...your lucky you made it in one peice, i have heard how them country folk like to snack on the people who get lost..

i got lost coming home from the airport once..i cann totally relate..

Choppzs said...

Lol, I am sorry, I know it's not funny, but it is to me because I have so done that. Except for me, I was in the middle of the ghetto city and would rather listen to the baby screaming and be lost then pull over ask for directions and get mugged. I grew up in the country and would have given a limb to be stranded there then in the city. Hopefully next time you make it home in one shot with no stops inbetween!!

Tammy Williams said...

Oh my Gosh! What a story! Are you from Georgia or did you move there when you got married?

When I first moved to a small town in Oregon from the big city in Alberta, I was terrified too. I didn't do well on country roads at all. I am getting used to it now though and what is funny is that city driving tends to give me more anxiety. I suppose it's all part of God whacky plan...getting us lost so he can help us find our way home.
:)

Tina M said...

How scary!! I would have been balling (worse than the baby) for sure! Glad it came out okay!!

Wendy aka Cheeky said...

Oh my! But I so know how you feel. My hubby was in the navy when our daughter was born so if I went anywhere it was by myself (and usually both of us crying) and we didn't have cell phones at the time - I can so relate to this "adventure"!

Glad you made it back ok