Friday, April 11, 2014

Happy Birthday To Me

As I sit here thinking about what I have accomplished during the 34 years I have been on this planet, my eyes land on a picture on our mantel.  It is a picture of the five of us on the day Caleb got dedicated at our Church.  That is my greatest achievement.  It's not some college degree hanging on the wall or an award I received.  It's our little life that Jeremy and I have created for ourselves.  It brings tears to my eyes to see how much God has truly blessed us.  The life He has carved for us is far greater than what I had carved.  It is beyond my wildest imagination, my highest expectation.

This is the day that He has made.  Rejoice and be glad in it.  Begin the day with open hands of faith, ready to receive all that He is pouring into our lives.  Do not complain about anything because He is the author of our circumstances.  Handle unwanted situations by thanking Him for them.  This frees us from resentment and frees Him to work His ways into the situation, so that good emerges from it.  To find joy in this day, live within its boundaries.  We can only bear the weight of only one day at a time.  Do not worry about tomorrow or get stuck in the past.  There is abundant life in His presence today.
Psalm 118:24; Philippians 3:13-14

Today's devotional reminds me of a song on my kids' Veggietales CD; "This is the day that the Lord has made.  I will rejoice and be glad in it. This is the day, this is the day, that the Lord has made."  Even though I dread birthdays because it is only a reminder that I am getting older, and wrinklier, it is the day God made me.  When I was born, my mother was in labor for 2-3 days.  When she finally delivered me, we both ended up in ICU.  The doctor told my parents that I only had a 5% chance of survival.  But here I am, healthy as can be.  God has saved me twice; once at birth and when I was 27.  The least I can do is follow the One who delivered me.

In other news, tomorrow will not be STATday.  Since we went away this week for spring break, I did not work out, nor did I eat healthy.  I had contemplated on craming in a week's worth in four days, but I did not want to overdo it.  I will start back on Monday, since this weekend is my birthday weekend aka fat weekend.

No comments: